GoodReads

C's bookshelf: read

The Peculiar
Maggot Moon
Chime
Leviathan
The City and the City
Graceling
The Road
A Certain Slant of Light
The Muses Among Us: Eloquent Listening and Other Pleasures of the Writer's Craft
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
Brown Girl in the Ring
Well Wished
The Innkeeper's Song
Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
Beloved
American Indian Myths and Legends
The Left Hand of Darkness
The Return of the King
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers


C S Peterson's favorite books »

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hoping for no events today


I am hoping for no events today
No world shaking
No consuming fires
I am hoping for the forty days of rain
And melting sliding mud floods
To drain back from whence they came
Cataclysms lengthen a horrible instant
Into an eternity of dreams
Repeating the video
In the back of my mind
But take time to process
To clean to bury
Time for the gentle turn of the equinox
To warm and chirp and echo laughter
From the playground down the street
I am hoping today
Just to see the buds swollen a wee bit more



6 comments:

  1. Powerful. Great expression of world events which leave us devastated without using their names. I like how you began with hope and then ended with hope but in a more positive light. Love the poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get your wish. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poems I am reading from slices are incredible. Yours is no exception. I agree with Heather, very powerful and so current. I hold my breath to learn what happens next in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. I remarked to a friend the other day that my life is really boring--and that's how I like it. I find that nature, as well as man-made events, bring enough distraction and disruption that I don't have to spice up my life with my own craziness. I'll leave that to the twenty-somethings. Lovely post, lovely thoughts. Thanks.

    Elizabeth E.
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been lovely to read all the posts that really touch on the glory that is Saturday, a time for rest & renewal I guess. Your reflection that includes the horror of the earthquake, & the blessings that you count on is succinct & greets this Saturday with much welcome. Nice Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I rarely write poetry, I always love to see how so many vivid memories can be conveyed with so few words. I especially loved your last line.

    ReplyDelete