GoodReads

C's bookshelf: read

The Peculiar
Maggot Moon
Chime
Leviathan
The City and the City
Graceling
The Road
A Certain Slant of Light
The Muses Among Us: Eloquent Listening and Other Pleasures of the Writer's Craft
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
Brown Girl in the Ring
Well Wished
The Innkeeper's Song
Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
Beloved
American Indian Myths and Legends
The Left Hand of Darkness
The Return of the King
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers


C S Peterson's favorite books »

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Metamorphosis


I’m writing screenplay number two in a trilogy of stories about an epic mythic world. I sketched out the major plot points in an outline and read it to my children for a bedtime story.
“So,” I said when I had finished, “what did you think?”
“Sea monsters can’t breath fire,” piped up the youngest, “What use would that be to them in the water?”
“Maybe when the sea monster hits land it can grow legs - then it could breath fire.” offered my middle daughter.
“Yeah!” said middle son, “and then when it is drowned in the flood at the end of the big battle, you could see it crawl out and become a chrysalis! Then it could show up later in the story...with WINGS!!”
“Oooo!” I replied, “a dragon with a metamorphic life cycle. I like it!”
“I think you need some more about the kid as he grows up,” added my eldest daughter, “He’s just kind of a baby and then the next thing you know he’s eleven and everything about him is surprising.”
“Yeah,” I sighed, looking around at my fast growing crew, “That is how it is all right.”
“So maybe at a couple scenes so we get to know him,” she finished helpfully.



There will have to be an authors note at the end that the story was co-written by all the Peterson children!

6 comments:

  1. Considering my 'goodbye' poems, that almost last part got to me Katie. I know just what you are getting at. The conversation was great to hear, such wonderful critics you have. I know it isn't always perfect but you make things sound very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They grow too fast. Sigh . . .
    I love the glimpse you give us of this close family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these voices. Keep going

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how your daughter said: "He’s just kind of a baby and then the next thing you know he’s eleven and everything about him is surprising.” How true, how true about life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is cool that you include your children in your writing and they feel that they have a say. Wondeful experience for them. Thansk for sharing! Happy Slicing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always found family collaboration works best. Marina and I wrote a cute fractured fairy tale where Rapunzel was a cat.

    Peace and Laughter!

    ReplyDelete