GoodReads

C's bookshelf: read

The Peculiar
Maggot Moon
Chime
Leviathan
The City and the City
Graceling
The Road
A Certain Slant of Light
The Muses Among Us: Eloquent Listening and Other Pleasures of the Writer's Craft
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
Brown Girl in the Ring
Well Wished
The Innkeeper's Song
Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
Beloved
American Indian Myths and Legends
The Left Hand of Darkness
The Return of the King
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers


C S Peterson's favorite books »

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wallowing


Death’s touch today wrung out every heart
that comes within the compass of my own
and dumb I stood, lacking any art
that sympathies to sorrow could have shown

Pouting to myself, I cast a cloud
Selfish as a Jonah, badly used
brooding on my future in a shroud
all self pity happily excused

Though, soon as I had called, some comfort came
I shrugged it all away as if t’were naught
numbed myself in habit’s drudging shame
shunning tenderness so dearly bought

A robin winked at me one eyebrow cocked
to think I wept ‘cause time could not be stopped



3 comments:

  1. "selfish as a Jonah" love that phrase

    ReplyDelete
  2. The third quatrain is so telling, moving your "story" along incredibly well, Katie. It's a beautiful sonnet. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep rereading - admiring your sonnet.

    ReplyDelete